15 October 2012
Minister for Mental Health Mark Butler today called for applications from non-government organisations to become Partners in Recovery (PIR) Organisations in each of the 61 Medicare Local regions.
The $549.8 million PIR initiative is a major plank in the Government’s $2.2 billion mental health reform plan and will provide more coordinated services for 24,000 individuals with severe and persistent mental illness and complex needs.
“People with severe mental health issues often need to access a range of services like housing, income support, employment services and medical care, and this program is about joining those services up so that people don’t fall through the gaps,” Mr Butler said.
“And often people will be accessing one or two service types, but aren’t aware that other services are available to them, so the NGOs we select to do this work will be funded to make sure people’s full range of needs are identified and met.”
“This is a bold, new approach to deliver on the needs of people with extremely complex needs and whilst this is a challenging area, the successful PIR organisations have a real opportunity to break new ground here.”
Mr Butler encouraged service providers across different sectors to be involved and participate in the application preparation process.
“Having a broad range of delivery partners involved will show the commitment and capacity of the local community, which in turn will be critical to the successful implementation of PIR in their region.”
Applications need to include:
- a proposed model and project plan of how PIR will be implemented, building on the existing service environment currently operating within the region;
- identification of project partners, including letters of support;
- detailed evidence of the regional planning and consultation processes undertaken in preparing the application;
- a communication strategy and risk management plan;
- demonstration of required capabilities and capacities;
- options on how client information might be managed using existing systems; and
- a detailed budget.
Information and the Invitation to Apply documentation are available online www.health.gov.au/mentalhealth
Applications for funding to become a PIR Organisation close at 2.00pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time on Tuesday 18 December 2012. All enquiries should be directed to email@example.com.
Media contact – Tim O’Halloran – 0409 059 617