What is special and unique about ARAFEMI?
- A support worker that comes to your home where someone comes to you rather than you go to a clinic like a doctor.
- Sometimes our workers drive us places or do errands for us.
- I was happily surprised how far out of their way ARAFEMI Outreach workers are prepared to go to help you with various practical affairs.
- Sometimes they do fun things with you as well to make you feel better.
- I have always really enjoyed sitting down with someone, making a cup of tea and having a chat.
- My worker keeps encouraging me to go out and socialise and have fun.
- I like swimming so with some of my workers I have gone for a swim.
- My worker has offered to drop me off somewhere because I didn’t have a car.
- Good one-on-one discussions and chats.
What do you think are our strengths over larger organizations?
It’s not so big that you get lost in it. It’s more focused. Provides the personal touch that people need – this can make all the difference sometimes.
For longer-term clients of ARAFEMI, how do you think that the delivery of ARAFEMI’s service and care compares to say, 10-15 years ago?
‘A support worker available when you need one, but before there used to be a support worker ‘forced’ on you when you didn’t need one. There is more flexibility when you are seen now. Now you are seen as more as person than a statistic, but it’s always been like that.’
‘It’s very needs focused, very proactive and caring.’
‘Back 10 years ago I was pretty sick when I needed help, but I felt that there was someone there to help me. ARAFEMI contacted me and helped me when I needed help.’